Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Father's Love...

What a week.  The Judson Baptist mission team (from my home church in Nashville, Tennessee) came in to town to assist with a Block Party, Vacation Bible School, the kickball club ministry and helping to prepare for another week of camp being held here in July.  They were such a blessing to have in town.  Our devotions each night centered on trusting God and giving Him control of our lives, as we heard testimonies of God doing extraordinary things through the lives of ordinary people who had surrendered their lives to Him.  Six children that came to VBS gave their lives to Christ and through the mission offering taken up, we received the amount necessary to purchase the facility for the orphanage that Kirkwood supports in Haiti, which will allow them to better use their funds to take care of the children who lost their parents in the earthquake down there a couple years ago.

Here is a link to a video with many pictures that highlight the mission team's trip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVAxNOr0Dc&feature=plcp

It was truly such a blessing having the team in town for more reasons than just ministry...

Many of you have heard by now that my dad passed away unexpectedly this past week.  The following is just a small testimony to what God did through the tragedy.

"We must know sorrow to be able to fully appreciate joy."

We serve a faithful God.  I hope this encourages all of you who ever have or will walk through a hard time, that in all circumstances He will carry you and surround you with His presence if you trust in Him and fall into His arms...
 
On Wednesday, June 27th about 4:45pm I received a call we all hope to never get.  It was from my uncle telling me my dad had passed away unexpectedly (we later found out it was a heart attack).  It was about 45 minutes before Vacation Bible School was to begin and we were presenting the Gospel that night to the children.  I told two of my sweet friends from the Judson team about my dad and they prayed for me and I asked them not to tell the rest of the team until after VBS was over that evening.  After only by the grace of God making it through the evening and finishing up recreation time with the children, I walked back into the church and the first words spoken to me were, "Jacey (one of my favorite boys) accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior tonight!"  It was at that moment I lost it as I experienced the deep sorrow of losing my father, but also unexplainable joy in hearing of a boy I had grown to love so much coming to know his Heavenly Father, an eternal relationship that can never be shaken.  I learned there were a couple other kids who had given their lives to Jesus Christ that night as well.  As everyone from Judson and Kirkwood serving at VBS gathered after the children had departed, one of our other team leaders informed everyone about my situation.  Immediately the team of about 30 encircled me and prayed.  As we all cried, God's presence filled the room in an unmistakable way.  Over the final two days of Vacation Bible School along with family day Sunday at church, we continued to see God working in the lives of the children and I had a team of unbelievable people surrounding me in person, as well as so many of you I heard from via phone, text, Facebook and email... there are no words that I can express to thank you for the love and support so many of you have shown through this time. 

As I spoke to the team the next evening I shared the fact that we have choices each day that include:
1) putting our hope in His Word and what Jesus has done for us
2) to walk in obedience to His plan because His ways are higher than ours (even when we don't understand at the time)
3) to use the gifts He has given us for His glory because our time is short and we never know which day will be our last.

The following comes from verses in Psalm 33-34 and is written to reflect the promises of the Lord when we choose to stand on His Word.  May we all be able to say...

"We will wait in hope for the Lord and know He is our help and shield.  Our hearts will rejoice in Him as we trust His holy name.  His unfailing love will rest upon us as we put our trust in Him.  We will extol the Lord at all times.  His praise will always be on our lips.  Our souls will boast in the Lord, and those who are afflicted will hear and rejoice.  Let us glorify the Lord and exalt His name together.  We will hold fast to the promise that when we seek the Lord, He answers us and delivers us from our fears.  He tells us that if we look to Him we will be radiant and our faces will never be covered with shame.  We will taste and see that the Lord is good, and hold fast to His promise that those who fear Him lack nothing and those who seek Him lack no good thing."

The world we live in is not an easy one.  Unexpected things happen that threaten to take our breath away.  The importance of preparing daily and knowing where our hope lies has never been more evidenced in my life than through this past week.  No amount of works or religion can get you through these times, only a personal relationship with Jesus Christ can, for that is a foundation that can never be shaken.

Here is the latest:
Since my dad had stated previously he didn't want a funeral, but a celebration, my uncle and I have begun planning that.  It will be on Saturday, July 14th in Midway, Utah near where my dad lived.  We will be able to celebrate and rejoice in the years we had with my father and as he apparently stated to my uncle some time back that when he went we all needed to "get together and talk about how cool he was."  As his nickname was Old Joe Cool, I think it will be quite appropriate.

Please pray as I continue to deal with this news over the coming weeks and will be able to grieve appropriately while also reflecting on the sweet times my dad and I had together.  Also pray I will continue to put my hope and trust in God through each day. 

On the ministry side, there is another mission team from Oak Ridge, TN arriving this week to run a Backyard Bible Club in a local neighborhood, so please pray for them this week as well.

Thanks so much to everyone again for your love and support through this time.

Here are a couple pictures of the sweet people I was surrounded by this week here in Bozeman:

Judson and Kirkwood folks serving at VBS

Hyalite Canyon with part of team

With the Hammers family

With the Hayes family hiking to Sacagawea Peak (9665 ft)
in the Bridger Mountains

Praying for Bozeman after hiking the "M" trail
that overlooks the city

Third mission trip serving with Misty,
twice to Honduras and now here in MT, such a blessing